Washington State Department of Social and Health Services Home page

Substance Abuse Treatment Services

How do I get immediate help? 

For free referrals to treatment and recovery resources, and emotional support, contact the Washington Recovery Help Line at 1-866-789-1511 or  www.warecoveryhelpline.org.  Teen Link help line for teens:  866-833-6546 or http://866teenlink.org.

How do I pay for treatment?  

  • Treatment for alcohol/drug dependency is now covered in all private and employer-sponsored health plans under the Affordable Care Act.
  • If you are enrolled in a state-funded health insurance plan through Apple Health/Medicaid, you will contact a treatment agency directly for setting up your care.  You do not need a referral from your managed care plan, because this type of health care is funded directly by Medicaid.
  • If you are low-income and need help paying for treatment, you can apply for Apple Health/Medicaid at www.WaHealthPlanFinder.org.  

Does treatment work?

Addiction is a serious disease that not only harms individuals and families, but the entire community.  The good news is that treatment and recovery programs have provided hope, healing and a new life to thousands of people in Washington and across the nation. DBHR invests in treatment services that are evidence-based, and delivered by certified treatment agencies. Certified agencies meet established standards for providing effective services, which includes individual treatment plans to meet specific needs.  Specialized treatment services are available for adolescents, pregnant and parenting women (and their children), members of minority populations, and those with disabilities. 

Research has shown that treatment for substance use disorders works to reduce and stop use and the negative consequences.  Treatment also saves public spending  for emergency medical care, unemployment and criminal justice.  Like any chronic health condition, ongoing treatment and recovery support are important for long-term health.

How can families and communities intervene and support people in recovery?  

First, it's important to understand addiction, and treat it with the same urgency as any other chronic and disabling disease.  Anyone can develop addiction, but some people are at higher risk, such as those with a family history, and people who begin using alcohol or other drugs before their bodies and brains are developed.  Next,  help loved ones see that they need help, hold them accountable, and support them throughout treatment.  More tips for intervening can be found in this guide: Helping someone who might have a drug or alcohol problem.

The highest priority groups for state and federally funded intervention and treatment services are

  • Pregnant women who use IV drugs
  • Pregnant women
  • Others who use IV drugs
  • Post-partum women (up to one year)

The second highest priority groups are:

  • Parents/legal guardians involved with Child Protective Services
  • Parenting adults
  • Youth

View fact sheets about the services below:

  • Chemical Dependency PPW Housing Support Services
  • Chemical Dependency PPW Outpatient Treatment
  • Chemical Dependency PPW Residential Treatment
  • Chemical Dependency PPW Therapeutic Childcare
  • Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Diagnostic Network
  • Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Parent Child Assitance Program
  • Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Parent Trust Families in Recovery
  • Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Safe Babies Safe Moms

Click here for an overview of publicly funded services for substance use prevention, treatment and recovery.

Click here  for fact sheets about treatment services

Click here for recovery resources.