Gun Safety Tips
- Store firearms unloaded and locked.
- Use a firearm safe, locked box, trigger or chamber lock to store firearms.
- Store and lock ammunition in a separate place.
- Remove firearms from your home if you have a depressed or suicidal family member.
- Ask family and friends to use these safe storage steps.
- Before you send your child to someone's house, ask if firearms in the home are stored unloaded and locked. Ask if the ammunition is stored separately. Ask about shotguns and rifles too, not just handguns.
- If you have doubts about the safety of someone else's home, invite the children to play at your home instead.
- Present your concerns with respect.
- Talk with your children about the risk of firearm injury in places they may visit or play.
- Teach your child if she finds a firearm to leave it alone and let an adult know right away.
Adobe Reader (free download
) is required to view the .PDF files listed on this page.